📣 We’re talking Nacho Awesomeness here people! Move over soggy, boring, naked nacho chips. This recipe teaches you my way to make barbacoa spiced, cheesy, crispy, loaded sheet tray nachos. Quality fresh ingredients make all the difference here. No pre-shredded cheese the shortcut is not worth it.
Disclaimer: This channel contains affiliate links. This means I receive a small commission with no cost to you. I believe in the products I mention & have experience with them. If you purchase through my affiliate links, thank you for the support 🙏
Barbacoa Beef Nachos
Yield: 1/2 sheet tray
- 2 Teaspoon | 8g Barbacoa Spice
- 1 Pound | 455g Ground Beef
- 4 Ounces | 125g Strong Corn Tortilla Chips
- 2/3 Cup | 215g Oaxaca Cheese
- 1/2 Cup | 165g Sharp cheddar
- 2 Each Ears | Bi-color Corn
- 1 Each | 30g Radish
- 1/4 Each | 135g Shredded cabbage
- 1/8 Cup | 20g Red Onion
- 1/8 Cup | 20g Pickled Jalapeño
- 1/8 Cup | 20g Fresh Jalapeño
- 1/8 Cup | 20g Cilantro
- 1 Each Ripe Avocado
- 1 Each Lime
- 1 Tablespoon | 24g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Neutral Oil
1. Heat oven to 450 F & move the oven rack to top slot. Season the ground beef with 3/4 of the Barbacoa spice & salt, mix, set aside.
2. Shuck the corn, boil in salted water for 3 minutes, charr in a cast iron pan or on the grill, let cool then remove the kernels from the cobb & set aside.
3. Thinly shave the radish using a mandolin. Submerge into ice water to crisp. Set aside.
4. Thinly shave the red onion using a mandolin. Submerge into ice water to crisp. & set aside.
5. Thinly shave the fresh jalapeno using a mandolin & set aside.
6. Drain your pickled jalapeno & set aside.
7. Remove the tough outer leaves on cabbage, Cut the cabbage into inch wide pieces remove the core. Shave the pieces using your knife, place into large bowl.
8. Grate both the Oaxaca & sharp cheddar cheese against the large holes of a box grater, mix & set aside.
9. Grab your sheet tray, place a single layer of tortilla chips down. The chips can be slightly overlapping but not piled up on top of each other. We want the toppings to be on every single chip, no naked chips!
10. Add half of the cheese to the top of the chips.
11. Heat cast iron pan to a medium – high heat. Add oil to lightly coat the pan. Add seasoned beef, turn heat to high, sear quickly, & break meat apart using a spoon. Once beef is cooked, immediately spread it evenly on top of the cheese covered chips & top meat with the rest of the cheese. Place on the top rack of the oven & cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
12. While nachos are in the oven, add all the ingredients you set aside into the bowl of cabbage. Large dice the avocado add gently to the bowl now add the zest & juice of the lime, 3/4 of the cilantro, salt, & extra virgin olive oil. Gently mix to combined without crushing the avocado.
13. Remove nachos from oven, immediately top with the cabbage mix, dust with the rest of the barbacoa & garnish with the remaining cilantro. Serve & eat immediately while hot!
yield: 3 Cup
Neutral Oil, as needed
10 Each | 580g Tomatillos, quartered
4 Each | 20g Garlic Cloves, whole
1/2 Each | 120g White Onion, large diced
2 Each | 80g Jalapeños, halved
1/2 Bunch | 15g Cilantro
Kosher Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- De-husk & quarter the tomatillos & add to a bowl
- Add garlic cloves, diced onion, halved jalapeños, splash of neutral oil, & little salt
- Toss vegetables & lay onto a baking pan
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Or until vegetables start to brown.
- Do not cook too long, you want to retain as much green color as possible
- Once cooked, add to a blender with chopped cilantro.
- Blend too desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning, & cool
note: salsa verde is usually seasoned very little because tortilla chips usually have enough salt for both.
If you are ever looking to add a bit of a kick to a dish this Salsa Verde is your answer. It is made with only a few ingredients, tomatillo, jalapeños, onion, garlic, cilantro, olive oil & salt. It is super versatile and easy to master. I like to condense & intensify the flavor of my ingredients by roasting them all except the cilantro before blending & turning silky smooth. Paired with the chicken Barbacoa it adds a spicy & bright freshness that cuts through any of the heaviness and earthy notes that can throw the taco out of balance. Believe me you will use this sauce in everything or simply dip chips into it to enjoy! It will last 3 – 5 days in you fridge but it probably won’t last that long 😜
Watch & learn how to make this recipe 👇powered by Crowdcast
Follow & Tag Us @eatccc_