The most anticipated sandwich of the summer! Luxurious & humble at the same time, yes, it’s the famous lobster roll. I use lobster meat from the cold waters of Maine for its’ perfectly sweet meat. You could simply dunk the lobster meat into butter, add a squeeze of lemon and toss it onto a bun to be happy. In this recipe I add a bright crunchy chow chow that is spiced with Vadouvan and a bit of creamy cool creme fraiche to make a complex and modern version I hope that you will love.
We’ve partnered up with Luke’s Lobster to deliver Lobster Kits to your home.
Click Here To Purchase
Use code “PHILLYLOBSTER10” for 10% Off sitewide.
Offer ends September 30th 2022.
Lobster Kit (serves 4)
– 1 lb Lobster Knuckle & Claw Meat (Flash-Frozen)
– 4 New England-Style Split-Top Buns
– Luke’s Secret Seasoning
Vadouvan Chow Chow
1 ½ Cup | 305g Vinegar, distilled
¼ Cup | 45g Sugar
½ Tablespoon | 4g Kosher Salt
2 Teaspoon | 6g Vadouvan or Curry
1 Teaspoon | 4g Mustard Seed
¼ Head | 275g Cabbage
1 Each | 130g Carrot
1 Each | 200g Red Pepper
½ Each | 100g Red Onion
3 Each | 225g Tomatillos
- In a pot, add vinegar, sugar, salt, vadouvan (or curry), & mustard seeds.
- Bring to a boil & pour over small diced cabbage, carrots, red pepper, & tomatillos.
- Cool & cover with a lid.
1-2 Each Whole Lobsters
1 Gallon Water
4 Tablespoon Salt, Kosher
1 Each Lemon
1. Fill a pot with water & bring to a boil.
2. Season with kosher salt & the squeeze of 1 lemon.
3. With a towel in your non dominant hand, firmly press on the tail & back of the live lobster.
4. Using a medium thick French knife in your dominant hand, carefully & swiftly pierce through the top of the lobsters head between the eyes.
5. Using the same towel, twist-off the claws, knuckles, & tail.
6. Turn the water down to a gentle simmer.
7. Place lobster tails into the water & cook for 5-6 mins.
8. Claws will cook in 4-5 min.
9. Knuckles will cook in 2-3 min.
10. Using a slotted spoon, take lobster tails, claws, & knuckles.
11. Use kitchen shears, cut the shell from meat of the lobster pieces while still warm.
Tips: Cook time depends on the size of the lobster. Do not submerge the cooked lobster into an ice bath.
Building Lobster Roll
1 Lbs Lobster Meat
2 Tablespoon Crème Fraîche
1 Each Lemon Juice
1-4 Each Lobster Rolls or Hotdog Buns
As Needed Unsalted Butter, room temp
As Needed Chow Chow
- In a bowl add large bite sized pieces of lobster meat.
- Add crème Fraîche just to coat the lobster pieces.
- Season with salt & lemon juice to taste.
- Spread butter on the bun and toast until golden brown.
- Place lobster inside toasted bun/s & garnish with chow chow.
Tips: For gluten free, use a lettuce cup, gluten free bread, or just eat as lobster salad! For dairy free, mix with a vegan mayo instead of crème fraîche and skip the butter.powered by Crowdcast
Follow & Tag Us @eatccc_