People have been eating hummus all over the world for centuries. I think you would all agree with me that it is about time America has caught on to one of the worlds most delicious and nutritious foods. Hummus is almost always created by combining chickpeas, garlic, cumin, lemon & tahini. You may find different variations of hummus such as black bean, red pepper, beet, edamame, or white bean. These are great alternatives but nothing beats the original. As my friend, Spice Master, Lior Secarz will say… “real Hummus is always made with chickpeas.” And that’s exactly what we’ll be making today.
1 Qt | 1000g Water
½ Teaspoon | 3g Baking Soda
Attention: Hummus Kit purchasers
You’ll just need to add lemon juice & water, everything else is included.
Proceed to Step 1 and soak your chickpeas (baking soda is mixed with the chickpeas). In addition there are 2 black mylar bags. One contains the second amount of baking soda for cooking the chickpeas. The other contains salt, garlic, & cumin for seasoning.
What else is included? click here to learn more
Soaking & Cooking Chickpea
1. In a bowl, add 7 1/2 Oz chickpeas & 3/4 Qt water let soak on your counter, or in your fridge over night (8-12 hours).
Note: The dry chickpeas already have the initial 1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
2. Once chickpeas are fully soaked, drain out water & add to a medium pot.
3. Add 1 Qt water & ½ Teaspoon baking soda.
3. Bring to a boil, & reduce to a simmer for about 25-35 minutes or until mushy.
4. Once cooked, drain chickpeas into a colander to allow steam to escape, and set aside.
5. In a food processor, add tahini, water, & lemon juice
6. Blend until mixture’s thick, fluffy, & smooth. Take out tahini mixture & set aside in a bowl.
7. Add in cooked chickpeas, garlic, cumin, salt, & blend until smooth. Or 1 pack of Hummus Seasoning.
Note: Blend for about 3-5 min. It seems like a long time, but this is the step that makes or breaks the texture of the hummus.
8. When chickpea mixture is smooth, reintroduce tahini mixture until incorporated.
Notes: If your hummus is too thick add more water to your achieve your desired consistency.